It’s been hot the last few days, so I’m more excited about eating melons than anything else. The Charentais melon is a common & inexpensive variety here in France. It’s a kind of cantaloupe, but I find it to be lighter and more refreshing than the cantaloupe that I was used to in the U.S. I like it much better, actually.
- 1/2 c. cherries
- 2 c. cut-up Charentais melon
- 1/4 c. dates
Checklist items: berries, 3 other fruits (4 out of 18 servings)
You already know I love my salads. Especially with red-leafed lettuce. I’ve been waiting on a Red Kamikaze Batavia in my garden. It’s not quite ready – the red has just started to develop, but I’m impatient, so I’m taking some today anyway.
- 2 c. Kamikaze batavia lettuce
- 1/2 c. chickpeas
- 1/4 c. tomato
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper
- 1/4 c. corn
- 1 T ground flaxseed
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds, toasted
- Chef AJ’s House Dressing
Checklist items: 1 beans, 2 greens, 1 1/2 other vegetables, flaxseed, nuts (6 1/2 out of 18 servings)
I have a weird relationship with cauliflower. I love the way it tastes even though I’m not a huge fan of the way it smells. However you feel about it, it makes a great alfredo – a dish that I loved as a kid.
- 1 heaping c. cauliflower florets
- 2 T unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1 sm. clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 c. peas
- 1 1/2 c. cooked whole grain pasta
- Boil the cauliflower florets until tender, about 5 minutes & then drain
- Saute garlic
- Add cooked cauliflower & garlic with milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic & onion powders, and salt & pepper to a blender and blend until smooth
- Add cooked pasta, alfredo sauce, & peas to a pot and heat through
Checklist items: 2 beans, 1 cruciferous, 1 other vegetables, spices, 3 whole grains (8 out of 18 servings)
Taking account of the day:
18.5 servings in total.
We got at least the minimum recommended servings of everything.
In addition, we had 1/2 an extra serving of other vegetables or whole grains depending on how you want to count the corn.