A friend of mine from Shanghai recently told me how to make a couple of different bean porridges, and I’m giving the first one a shot today! It’s simple, but must be made ahead! I recommend making large batches.
- 1/4 c. barley
- 1/2 c. adzuki beans
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. raisins
- 1-2 T maple syrup
- 1 T ground flaxseed
- soak beans & barley together for 4-5 hours
- boil together for 2-3 hours (depending on how mushy you want it)
- at the end, mix in raisins, walnuts, and maple syrup & flaxseed
Checklist items: 2 beans, 1 other fruits, flaxseed, nuts, 1 whole grains (6 out of 18 servings)
One of my favorite summer dishes, and practically the only thing I ate while I was doing my Master’s thesis: Lebanese tabbouleh! The abundance of fresh herbs make this dish wonderful.
- 1/2 c. cooked bulgur (prepare as instructed on package)
- 1 1/2 T aquafaba (the liquid in your can or jar of garbanzos)
- 1 c.fresh flat-leaf parsley (from 3 bunches)
- 1/4 c. fresh mint
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- to get 1/2 c. cooked bulgur, you should use a/b 1/4 c. raw
- finely chop the herbs & tomato
- peel, core & finely dice the cucumber
- mix all the ingredients together and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour to develop flavor
Checklist items: 2 other vegetables, spices, 1 whole grains (4 out of 18 servings)
Gotta get them berries in sometime! It may as well be now. I’m going out to the garden to grab some raspberries.
- 1/2 c. raspberries
- 2 c. papaya
Checklist items: berries, 2 other fruits (3 out of 18 servings)
Have you noticed yet that I have a page dedicated to recipes? You’ll find my favorite Hummus recipe there, as well as the recipe for Nasturtium Pesto.
- 1/2 c. broccoli
- 1/4 c. hummus
- 1 c. cooked whole wheat pasta
- nasturtium pesto
- 2 c. salad greens
- Chef AJ’s House dressing
This is a 3-dish meal!
- mix the pasta & pesto, serve
- mix the greens & dressing, serve
- dip the broccoli in the hummus
Checklist items: 1 beans, cruciferous, 2 greens, 2 whole grains (6 out of 18 servings)
Taking account of the day:
19 servings in total.
We got at least the minimum recommended servings of everything.
In addition, we had 1 extra serving of whole grains.